Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 01:07:13 -0500
From Uses/Description:

"In summary, morphine is probably the preferred opiate in breastfeeding mothers primarily due to its poor oral bioavailability. It is unfortunate that the clinical studies above do not necessarily suggest t his. However, high doses over prolonged periods could lead to sedation and respiratory problems in newborn infants."

He was referring to a study where the mother started 50 mg PO every 6 hours during pregnancy for severe back pain, and continued thru 5 days postpartum. She restarted due to her withdrawal symptoms. This amt was much higher and for much longer time than the average cesarean mother would get.

Mothers in my hospital do breastfeed and do provide their pumped milk to NICU babies when they are taking morphine.

Phyllis

---- [log in to unmask] wrote:

Good Morning anyone who's up and reading. I need a speedy response for a Mum who is right now at the ER. She has a hernia and has been put on morphine, I don't have my Hale's so my question is will this medication hurt her baby? He is 5 days old. She has been pumping and asks whether or not to dump her milk.
Thank you,
Andrea in nyc
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

--