From:
michelle i scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:32:12 -0400
Hmm, Linda, I think the reason beer is recommended is the use of hops which
is supposed to be a galactogogue, rather than the alcohol.  Cows are fed
hops as part of their grain mixture in some parts of the country.  So maybe
there is something to it, but again I want to see the research.  There's
worse advice the MDs could be giving, a small glass of beer may increase
the milk if the mom believes it does!  just like lots of herb use "works"
even though it was not taken correctly.    Just today, I had a 93# mom with
a 17#  6month old, who was told by her ped. to give a bottle of formula
whenever she felt the baby did not get enough from nursing.   So of course,
at 2 wk growth spurt, the mom did this.   When she went to WIC (in CA)
someone said "oh, you are using formula and breastfeeding?  Does that mean
you bf just at night when you are too lazy to get up?"   This mom got mad,
and just walked out.   Took no formula and called the ped. about this
incident.  The ped was so mad, she told her to go to the drug store and get
blessed thistle, make tea out of it and her milk would increase and she
wouldn't even need formula.    The mom told me she did that and after 1 day
with 2 c of tea, she had plenty of milk and is now  still exclusively bf at
6 months!  (Has never used the tea since as it didn't taste as good as her
decaf Mountain Dew...) This mom has little education, not the greatest
diet, and smokes 1/2 pk/d, but you should see the beautiful baby!   The
trust, and social skills the baby has are outstanding.
        As a WIC nutritionist for the past 15 years, this is a new twist.   It
sure made my day since she is back with WIC now in NH, and hopefully, our
staff will be totally supportive.
Michelle Scott, RD,IBCLC
PS.  This is not throwing darts at CA WIC, since the people on WIC staffs
are real people and include some who say the "darnest things" no matter
what state they live in.   There's been more than once that I would
personally like to have put the kaboosh on one of our staff!

I still hear professionals telling moms to drink alcohol (especially beer)
to increase their milk supplies or to help let-down reflex. This is another
example of non-research-based myth.

MER (milk ejection reflex)  is incredibly reliable and difficult to
disrupt.
Assuming milk volume is sufficient, of course.

Milk synthesis is not substantially related to diet. If beer helped make
more milk, a zillion dairy farmers would happily joke about their
inebriated
cows all the way to the bank!

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre