From:
Brenda Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:20:08 -0500
Personal anecdote about peanut allergy and breastfeeding...

Child #1:  Consumed peanut products regularly during pregnancy and
lactation.  Did not offer child products that contained peanuts but did not
avoid feeding products that may have been cross contaminated with
peanuts.  Exclusively breastfed (0 ABM), complementary foods introduced at
7.5 months, weaned at 16 months.  Outcome:  child diagnosed with class IV
peanut allergy at age 2

Child #2:  Strictly avoided peanut products during pregnancy and lactation.
Did not introduce child to peanut products or peanut contaminated products
until age 4.  Exclusively breastfed (0 ABM), complementary foods introduced
at 7 months, weaned at 18 months.  Outcome:  Child is not allergic to peanuts.

Child #3:  Strictly avoided peanut products during pregnancy and lactation.
Child has never consumed peanut produts or peanut contaminated products.
Exclusively breastfed (0 ABM), complementary foods introduced at 7 months,
weaned at 20 months.  Outcome:  Diagnosed with class II peanut allergy at
age 1.

Every time a new study on peanut allergy comes out, I'm always left shaking
my head.  I believe peanut and other life threatening food allergies are
extremely complex interactions between genetics and environment.  These
studies that oversimplify this relationship leave mothers twisting in the wind
and feeling guilty about what they did or did not feed themselves or their
children.  I have yet to see a study in this area that left me feeling confident
about making a recommendation to a concerned parent about this issue.  I'm
looking forward to the day that science begins to truly unravel the mysteries
of food allergies.

Brenda Carroll, MA, IBCLC, RLC
... and parent of two peanut allergic kids who is thankful that US camps and
schools are careful about protecting children like mine.