From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:34:02 -0500
I had an interesting discussion with my husband during a road trip last
Friday.  He works for a major drug company (as a scientist not a rep!) and 2
things came up that correlate this askdrsears website issue.  If you can
stand one more post about it....  My dh (BTW, does that mean dear
husband?;-))  is going to a conference next week put on by a robotics
company whose equipment he is using in the clinical setting for
experimentation.  He is manning a poster presentation on the results they
got in the lab using this equipment.  The robotics company was going to
waive his reg fee for making a presentation on this but it is against his
company's rules.  They'd rather pay his fee than have it written off.  Why?
They don't want any sembance of promoting this company's product.  They
don't want to be seen as endorsing it.  It might impact on their reputation.
Employees are also not allowed to accept free meals from vendors, unless
they reciprocate.  Again, for the same reason.  The appearance of
inpropriety is everything!  I believe that is what our message is to Dr.
Sears.  However good his intentions (and I'm not going to argue that), the
appearance of an alliance with a formula company would make his
breastfeeding advice suspect.

Marsha, who has been married for the last year + to a toxicologist who is
getting quite an education in breastfeeding!  It's fun to talk about this
'drugs in breastmilk' issue with someone who understands it well.
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.
                                John S. C. Abbot