From:
Debbie Rabin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:56:58 -0500
To Dani Gauthier-

I know of any literature or documentation regarding changing the methods of
oral feeding per baby stay, but I do know that in the NIDCAP/APIB literature
you can find justification for stability and less frequent changes in the
baby's routine. They estimate that a baby in the hospital for three months
has an average of 4,000 different caregivers!  Personally, I think it is
really frustrating to have even the way the infant is swaddled or positioned
changed from day to day or shift to shift, much less the way they are fed.
Can you imagine how the baby feels? Mothers I work with are frequently in
tears because so many different people give so many different instructions. I
can certainly agree that it is important to maintain a feeding technique per
stay. Good luck- look up Als for documentation on NIDCAP.

Debbie Rabin, OTR,CLC
in beautiful, sunny, Southern CA (where it has finally stopped raining)