From:
Diana Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:57:13 -0400
> And I think we need to know
> exactly what we are fighting against.  Not to mention, we need to know enough to
> be able to discuss it knowledgeably with physicians and families.
>
> Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC

Thanks, Jan.

The fliers and info from the sales reps are for marketing purposes, not
to share good info to the professional.  Hearing it "straight from the
horses mouth" is the BEST way to get the info.  A good intellectual
discussion may even upset the sales reps that are present.  Many of the
sales reps are RDs, as I am (and wish to be an IBCLC soon), so asking
pertinent questions directly to the presenter and watching their
reactions, could be most educational to all those present.  I for one
didn't know of the source of the added oils until I read the posts
here.  It would have taken me half a day to find this out on my own!

OT:  I work with babies with special needs and preemies in their homes.
The vast majority of them pumped for most or all of the time the baby is
in the NICU--where in the world does it say to feed a preemie artifical
milk?  Only if the mother is incapacitated for some *unfortunate* reason
is it even considered!  Most NICUs have LCs, and some just have
knowlegable nurses in this area.  I could just cry about how the
birthing hospital in this county treats the new diads.  Very rural and
lacking in common sense with increased political influences rather than
actual abilities for patient care--sad.  Most professionals leave for
the big city rather than stay and help (fighting will get us nowhere,
except poor health).  Others are stiffled and complacent--overworked,
underpaid and unappreciated.  Actually, I work for the state in public
health--a position for the most clinical dietetics out of the
hospitals.  I never cared to work in a hospital--too clinical.  But I do
my best to keep up to date on stuff.
  Y'all have been a tremendous help and I will continue to read and
respond.

Diana M. Miller, MPH, RD
Pediatric Nutritionist
DEC (CDSA) of the Sandhills