From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 21:13:55 -0400
Hi Becky,
An addition to the post I sent to the list and cc to you.  I wish I could
get my hospital to follow this.  We have 4,000 deliveries/yr, a NICU and
I also run a milk bank.  I am the only LC.  It is horrible.  I am
extremely overworked and some days I feel like I am past burnout and in
AFTER BURN, as I call it.  We are the NICU for the Central Massachusetts
area.  Needless to say I have my work cut out for me.  What is your
hospital doing?  I would be very interested.  I used to be a nurse on our
L&D unit, now called the family unit.  We have LDRPs (Labor, Deliver,
Recovery, Postpartum) rooms.  We do all the high risk deliveries in the
area and do get transports.   I've been in this position for 2 1/2 years.
 I was active on the Breastfeeding Resource Team on our floor prior to
this position and also was a volunteer Nursing Mothers' Counselor for
many years prior to working in L&D.  I have counselled breastfeeding
women and helped them for 23 years.  I have a 28 y.o. and a 23 y.o.   I
love my profession, I just hate the health care system at the moment.  No
money and no help.  I have been IBCLC since 1995.
I didn't want to add all of this to the list.  Thanks for listening.  I
guess I am thinking about all the work I bring home with me and going to
work tomorrow.  It can be overwhelming, but I want to make a difference.
Getting into a new field like Lactation Consulting has much work
involved, but each person can make a difference.  Hope I haven't gone on
too long.
Darlene Breed BSN, RN, IBCLC
Coordinator, Milk Bank/Breastfeeding Center
UMass Memorial Health Care
Worcester, MA (USA)