Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 22:33:42 -0700
Many of you will remember that nearly 16 months ago, my daughter (who is
now 11) broke her femur at the neck.  It was a serious fracture,
dislocated and required surgery and three pins to repair it.  This is
the email that I just sent to my family and friends, including my local
homeschool group with supported me so much during this difficult time.
It seems silly that a break could mean a more than two year recovery
time period, but it did.  I'm glad it is nearly over.  I know we have a
lot of medical folks on this list, so if anyone wants to see a copy of
the xrays, they are a sight to see!  Email me if you want me to send you
a copy of them, I took photos and I have them as jpegs.

Many of you sent Lexie a card or postcard (and even a few presents)
during the time she was in the body cast.  They meant more than you
know, Lexie still has them.  They helped so much.  Thank you all!

***
Hello everyone,

This will probably be my last message.  We are, to misquote Churchill,
at the beginning of the end of this adventure.

Two weeks ago Alex (side note, she has asked that people call her Alex
now) had an MRI.  The MRI results are back and the news is nothing but
good!

Lexie's femur head has not died and shows NO signs of doing so.   At
this point we are free and clear, her femur has survived and we can drop
that from our list of worries!

The actual break has healed completely and perfectly.  I left the
a 10% chance of this happening, of the head being OK and not dying (due
to blood supply being completely severed) and the severity of the
break.  If anyone would like to see xrays of the break, let me know, I
can send you a jpg of the image of both the break and the screws they
inserted into her bone to keep it stable while it was healing.

The MRI confirmed that there was no underlying cause to the break.  This
was always a concern.  They did tests in the hospital to rule out a
tumor or cancer or brittle bone, etc., but the MRI confirmed that this
break was simply a fluke.

Some people have asked to what I credit Lexie's (oops, Alex's) healing.
I think it's a combination of things:  her strength of spirit, and her
strong desire to heal and play soccer again helped her through the
difficult process and extreme limitations;  our village of family and
friends who supported all of us not just with prayers and healing
thoughts and candles, but also with food and respite help, electric
blankets and younger sibling entertainment, trips to the store and to
the park, walking 1 1/2 miles with a body casted child, a shoulder to
cry on and hugs;  two very special women who provided Reiki, which I
feel was absolutely instrumental in keeping blood flowing to the head of
the femur.  There are probably other factors that I can't name now, but
I feel very lucky and very blessed.

This last year has been exceedingly difficult, in many ways, but I have
two incredibly healthy children who will be playing soccer in August and
as long as the three of us are together, and as long as we have all of
you,  we are going to be just fine.
Thank you all for your help, your prayers, your thoughts.   We couldn't
have done this without you.

Joylyn