From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 16:13:40 -0500
I have no problem working with any company, as long as they abide by the
International Code on the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes.  When a
formula company finally does that, everywhere in the world, I would be
pleased to deal with them.  Until then, we should not dignify their
marketing with our input, because that is all those videos, materials
are--marketing.  And if we don't forget that, the ethics of the
situation are clear.  Religion seems to help making ethical decisions,
so, I guess, for me, the Code is my Bible in this particular swamp.

As far as pumps are concerned, I know that most people who rent them,
rent them only if the mother truly needs a pump.  But there is a
temptation, especially in a close call, isn't there?  And there are some
who rent to everyone, and they should be censured.  Nevertheless, as
long as you keep asking the questions, I have confidence most of you out
there will do the right thing.  Since I do not rent pumps or sell
anything to mothers, maybe I should shut up.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC