From:
Hilary Pollock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 14:17:40 -0800
Hello -

I am a lurker who is considering becoming an IBCLC and greatly appreciates
that you let us non-certified types learn from your wealth of knowledge. I
now have a question and I'm hoping you can help me out. I searched the
archives and found two questions similar to mine but no answers.

I learned yesterday that I tested positive for a deleterious mutation on
the BRCA2 gene. Part of the recommended treatment plan is removal of my
ovaries, and obviously it would be good to get it done sooner rather than
later. The wrinkle is that I'm still tandem nursing my 2 and 4 year olds
and would like to let them determine when they are ready to stop
completely. This means that I'm likely to be nursing for at least two more
years if my youngest follows the pattern her sister has set. I was
wondering if anyone knows anything about the effect of oophorectomy on well
established breastfeeding. Is it likely to decrease my supply? If they
recommend HRT are there any levels at which it would be considered unlikely
to mean an end to nursing?

I'm also likely to have to undergo a mastectomy at some point or go on
tamoxifen, both of which would obviously mean the end of nursing, but I'm
hoping to be able to wait on that until my girls are done on their own
schedule. I'm 40 years old so I don't have a huge amount of time, but my
mother and her mother weren't diagnosed until in their 50's, so as long as
my girls wean before they are in their teens I should be ok. :)

I appreciate any help or information you ladies can offer. And thanks again
for letting folks like me learn from you!

Hilary Pollock