From:
Murray Bojman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:50:23 -0700
I am writing that abstract of the article to you all at Lactnet. Can you
tell me if there any recent studies done on this topic.

Delay in diagnosing breast cancer in lactating women has been considered
the reason for poor outcomes. Five women whose breast cancer occurred
during lactation are discussed here. All five women were seen by a
lactation consultant . Three women presented with lumps in theeir breasts,
one with recurrent mastitis, and one with mastitis-like symptoms. Despite
previous reports, their infants willingly suckled on the cancerous breast.
The lactation consultant should refer a client to a physicianfor
evaluationif a breast lump is substantially reduced in size sfter 72 hours
of treatment; if mastitis-like symptoms without fever are not resolved
after a 10-day course of antibiotics;' if mastitis appears chronically at
the same location; and /or if peau d'orange sign appears. Lactation
consultants can also be instrumental in encouraging monthly breast
self-examinations for lactating women. JHL 11:205-209,1995