From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 14:04:53 -0700
Betsy:  I would say that this mom should first not panic.  It is not at all
unusual for babies with hx of allergies to decline other foods until after
the first birthday.  This is a case where I think the child's cues should be
heeded.   Please suggest to this mom that she visit a LLL group and get
support for what she feels is the best course.    LLLLs don't give medical
advice, but they are great for nurturing the mother's instinct.  Did you
read my post several months about the child who died after being forced onto
other foods?  This child had a genetic disorder, but nonetheless, the baby
was thriving on breast alone until being taken off the breast.   This mom
did not want to take baby off breast and put baby back on which turned
things around significantly, but the kidney damage was too advanced by that
point.  Lois Arnold has presented wonderful talks on "other uses for human
milk" in which she has outlined many cases o f adults who are only alive
today because they were allowed to nurse and then receive donor milk (one
young woman with Celiac, I believe, is now in her twenties).

Now, I'd refer you and the mom to Dr. Katherine Dewey's work on the
nutritional course of breastfed children.  I am still trying to catch up
after the bf NOW conference, but if you can't find references to support
delaying of solids, please email me and I'll dig them up.  This is not a
case for panic unless someone decides to limit this baby's time at the
breast.  Most 10 month olds get all they need in a very short time suckling
because they are GOOD at it.  If mom wants to try to increase the hind milk
proportion, she can try doing breast compression.  In terms of introducing
foods, I'd recommend "thinking outside the box" (the cereal box that is) and
try things like avocado, sweet potatoes and more.  None of my three boys
have had baby food, mostly because the first one hated it and each one is
very healthy and lean.  I have since learned that there is little reason for
us to purchase premade baby foods and indeed these are often nutritionally
inferior.  If the mom or MD is worried about iron stores, then there are
other ways of getting superiorly bioavailable iron into a child...again, I
can provide many suggestions if you need them.  Email me privately as well
as to the list (who knows how long I'll stay caught up on digests this
time).

Warmest Regards,
--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: Lactation Consulting, Perinatal Health
Education and Attachment Parenting Classes for parents and practitioners