From:
R M WAHL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:26:07 +0000
Dear Jennifer,
I agree with you that there are many things that need to be changed about
births that occur in hospitals.  These things have been documented in other
letters.  I have also worked with many infants who have thrived because they
have been born in a hospital and would have died or had complications if
they would have been born at home.  I refer to the preterm and sick newborns
that have needed NICU or Level II care.

I have personally cared for profoundly damaged infants who have no blink,
gag or suck reflexes who were born at home.  Something went wrong in these
home deliveries- either an unexpected emergency or mismangement by the
delivering personnel.  Not all home births are perfect!

I have seen a dramatic reduction in these hospital born profoundly damaged
babies, since the development of rapid c-sections.  We still see some
profoundly brain damaged babies from Somali mothers who have refused
c-sections.  The Somali women have a high mortality rate in their homeland
from c-sections, and do not trust that they can survive a c-section in the
USA.

I do suggest to you that there is a place for both midwives and MD's in the
care of pregnant women.

You have written many interesting posts and others that have become
increasingly offensive to me as a hospital based IBCLC.  Your black-or-white
views on the perfect home birth vs. hospital birth from hell may relieve
your frustrations, but they increase mine.  This is a safe and enlightening
place that I can go after a hard day at work.  I know that I can find
support and encouragement from my fellow Lactnetters.  I want ideas on how
to improve my practice and support the families that I work with.  I have
enjoyed the lively debates on different topics.  I have appreciatiated
different people expressing their feelings in nonjudgemental ways.  I think
that as an intelligent and enlightened women, you could be a powerful tool
for change.  Remember that if you are not part of the solution, you are part
of the problem.  In other words, please don't ripdown everything about
hospital based birthing, provide comments that promote change.

Rachel Wahl BSN RN IBCLC