Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:39:51 EDT
Just wanted to add my hearty, "Yes" to wanting colleagues in other
disciplines asking me questions and being part of a team.

Thank goodness for Nurses and IBCLC's and other health professionals that
stand and ask me, "are you sure you want to do that?"  Everyone makes  mistakes
(even us physician types).  A doc who doesn't listen to their  colleagues is
IMHO a fool (even though they may be a "highly educated  one").  By the same
token, I think that also means that us docs should be  able to question and
dialogue with our colleagues about our concerns.  At  times on both sides it may
be an issue of "right versus wrong."  But I  really hope the goal of working
together is to promote the well-being  of our patients and empower them to make
the best decisions for their health and  the health of their children.

As women (I am assuming the vast majority of us are women who work in the
lactation profession, although there are a few men who work in the field), I
think we tend to react and back down when challenged.  If something in your  gut
tells you something "ain't right", I think it is crucial to stand up and be
counted.

If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the  problem.

Well behaved women rarely make history...

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD
Petaluma CA