From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:57:55 -0500
>recognizing failure to thrive and malnutrition in infants, and breastfeeding
>was not even mentioned during the entire session! We need to recognize >that the problem is a lack of knowledge about baby care (and, in these >
>U.S. case, lack of access to health care) and not just a breastfeeding >problem.

People do not lack access to health care in this country.  All hospitals by law have to see ALL patients that present to their door.  People may have a lack of free health care or lack the disposable income to pay for the health care they receive but they do not lack access.
  Granted our system has it's faults and needs improvement (like more Breastfeeding promotion), but many people don't realize that they cannot be refused health care at a hospital because of lack of ability to pay.  This is part of the COBRA legislation that makes hospitals liable for HUGE HUGE fines and penalties if they refuse care to people or access their ability to pay before they render care to them.  And the ER is not the best place to receive health care for many problems but it is still there.

As I have said at a debate on health care policy, the drug dealer in Washington DC that is the victim of a drive by shooting receives the same emergency care at the hospital that President Reagan did when he was shot.  If the hospital does a "wallet biopsy" first, they are in huge huge trouble with the regulatory authorities.

As this is hardly BF related, I suggest those that want to carry on this debate, do so via private email so as not to clutter the bandwidth of LACTNET.

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP
Clarion, IA