From:
"Kocher, Polly K." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:29:19 +0000
Date:    Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:35:52 -0400
From:    Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: boobies aren't needed anymore!

Jessica and all,
There is something interesting to notice about cows that make milk (vs. cows that are meat producers) and that is they carry very little body fat.  All of their energy goes into milk production.  Farm girl that I am, I see this in moms too--if a mom has never dieted in her life, therefore not messed with her calorie utilization...when she breastfeeds she becomes very thin---as in our cow picture.  However, if mom is predisposed, an a body type way to carry more meat on her bones (like beef cattle)--or if she has dieted, her body uses its calories in a different way...and while she probably makes adequate milk for her baby, she is not a 'rock star' in the milk making dept.  Has anyone else seen this relationship in other mammals?  We can learn a great deal from the dairy industry.
Polly Kocher, BS, IBCLC