From:
Mirine Dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:25:31 -0500
>I actually think what Dr. Greene has to say is really good

 I do not have the same experience as an IBCLC, but as a lactation educator, I thought that much of the info could be seen as unethical or misleading at best. My concern with his site was not that he is supportive of bottlefeeding, but his inaccurate info. I don't care if a site is pro-bottle, or pro-choice, just as long there is no deliberate misinformation about breastfeeding.( and affiliation with an organic company that should be held to a higher 'corporate social responsibility's as that is what they promote.)

Under Breastfeeding: "Check out Dr. Greene's Breast-feeding Topic Center if you've got questions about the benefits of breast milk, how breast milk changes during a feeding, or and what to look for in a baby formula"

"When a mother is stressed or sleep deprived, her body cannot make milk as well as it does when she is relaxed "

"Before you decide to give up nursing, though, I recommend that you try a few simple things" ( not one of which is seek a LLL or LC)
 But does include
"Don't feed your baby more than every hour-and-a-half to two hours.She may want to eat more often, but you will not have the milk she needs in less than an hour-and-a-half "

I found this to be contradictory to much of what I learned to be a childbirth and lactation educator, and information that undermines breastfeeding and ultimately promotes his employer's product , formula. I have written his site with questions and suggestions many times, and am told that his information is cutting edge. At least his disclaimer is at the bottom of the page :Note: Dr. Greene has been writing on this issue since 1996. Recently he became a national spokesperson for Enfamil LIPIL, the first formula with DHA and ARA to be introduced in the US - in February 2002.

Mirine Dye, , CCE, CLE