Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 14:57:15 -0400
I would like to jump into the discussion concerning moms who choose to
provide their milk by bottle exclusively.  Being a lactation consultant with the
WIC program adds a different dimension to this situation.  While I might, and
definitely do, understand all the various reasons that have been presented in
recent posts, they present an interesting challenge for me.  Perhaps other
WIC lactation consultants can comment on this and how it is handled in their
state.  In the state where I am employed, only mothers with sick or premature
babies, babies separated due to hospitalization, multiples or other specific
scenarios qualify for the loan of a hospital grade pump.  A manual pump can
be given but not until breastfeeding (at breast) is established usually 2-3
weeks unless the IBCLC has observed a physical reason-engorgement usually
or flat/inverted nipples, where the mom is just unable to latch without some
type of assistance that a manual pump may offer.  Sooo-there has never been
any provision for providing a pump to a mom who states she plans to offer
EBM without ever putting baby to breast.  We WIC providers would not
intentionally discourage any mom from providing her milk for her baby however,
in my state at least it would be difficult to offer her what she needs.  It would
mean a referral to a place where she would have to buy or rent her own pump
and she would consider our refusal to give her one as great negativity towards
her and her feeding plan.  Usually our moms could not afford one anyway.
Would other states comment on their WIC procedures in this regard?