Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 22:32:33 EST
Dear Lactnetters,
I am an RN and work as an LC in a pediatrician's office.  Part of all the
newborn first time visits to the office include a 45 min session with me to
assist and inform.  - a great set-up.  I see quite a bit of oversupply in
moms and LLL has a wonderful hand out about it.  For Susan's mom I would
recommend stopping all that pumping, and hand express or pump off only for
comfort(1-2 min), cabbage for engorgement and uphill nursings ( with
Australian hold where baby is on top) and only one breast nursings, and
interrupt feeds with burpings if coughing occurs during feeds, then resume on
same breast.  These interventions have been quite helpful for the moms ( and
babies too for whom it is no fun nursing waterfalls!)
Thankyou Lactnet - I am truly "addicted" and learning tons!!!!!
Holly McClain,RN,IBCLC
Takoma Park, MD