Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:01:38 EST

Nikki wrote:

<<Dear  Friends:
I would bet that more women collect milk via hand  expression in the entire
world than pump.
Women live on campus and  hand express on schedule to feed their premature
infants in Kenya and Cuba  and other countries.
The attitude to hand  expression in the US as a rule is a slightly
uncomfortable  one.>>

When we taught our 6 day  program with Judi Lauwers, we always had her do the
hand expression portion of  the lecture -- Judi hand expressed when she went
back to teaching school with  her babies -- and expressed somewhere around 17
ounces a day.

I was driving to a lecture  somewhere with Pat Bull when she was still
breastfeeding Rachel, and she needed  to express while we were in the car -- she too
was amazing -- the amounts she  could get out by hand far exceeded, more
quickly and efficiently than a  pump!

We will not discuss my lack of  abilities at hand expression -- but as good
as Pat & Judi were -- I was, um,  not.

Jan  Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
_Lactation Education  Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)