Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:33:45 EDT
Ellen,
       I can sure feel your frustration with this consult; I think most of us
in private practice have BTDT (been there, done that) at one time or another.
       What stood out to me was that you opened an SNS and then did not
charge for it. I keep a "demo" SNS for teaching purposes, so moms can see how
it works and handle it; if mom actually is going to use an SNS during the
consult, I make it very clear that once I open a (sterile) SNS, she will be
paying for it even if she decides not to use it (and I'd send it home with
her ; who knows, she might reconsider and try it again later.) If you did not
have a "demo" model before, you do now! Of course, this should apply to any
product that cannot be resold once it is opened. I keep demo models of many
things just for teaching purposes, after getting "bit" a couple times in the
early days of practice.
       I also hope you are charging by the hour (or fraction there of), not
by the consult. I've recently encountered some LC's who are still doing
this....  I learned a long time ago how frustrating it is when you spend a
long time with someone who does not seem to be willing to follow your
suggestions, especially when you have invested time for which you are not
receiving adequate compensation.
       You have planted some seeds with this mom that may bloom and grow in
her heart as she considers all that went on in this consult, as did the
information that you shared with her by phone previously; these seeds may
blossom later and she may come back for other help or products later. :)
       Isn't it great to have Lactnet's 3000 "shoulders" to lean on when we
get frustrated by things like this?  Thanks, list mothers; what would we do
with out you?
Flossie Rollhauser, IBCLC