From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:32:50 +1000
Mary,
I agree that there has been a bit of repetition in the discussion on this
issue however, I do understand that many who have brought up this issue on
Lactnet are from outside of the US and sometimes it can take a bit of time
for "foreign" news to filter through and for people to become aware of it
(just yesterday I had a friend bring it up with me, it was new news to her
from the weekend). The comment from the judge about breastfeeding not being
worth considering (my interpretation) because American women return to work
when their babies are 6 weeks old is a red rag to many of us. Most
definitely worth of discussion on Lactnet but just a little bit tedious with
the lag in news to countries outside of the US and with people being nomail
(I'm guessing that this is a factor). So yes people, please do check the
archives before posting again on this subject to make sure that it hasn't
already been said.

As to keeping on topic. Yes, that is important but those of us who have
interests in the area of child protection and human rights might see
connections to breastfeeding that others do not (just as many here see
connections between birth and breastfeeding that those of us who are not
midwives might not initially see). Those of us with an interest in child
protection also know that how things are presented by the authorities and in
the media are not always quite correct and we can do some reading between
the lines, resulting in us seeing things a little differently (knowing that
best interests of the child is not what it is always about).

So yes, please do keep on topic but appreciate the diversity of the
membership and their interests and be forgiving of one another. There is
always the delete key.

Karleen Gribble
Australia
With listmother hat on