Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:38:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Someone asked what Ross has to gain by placing their identity on a book that is supposedly very well-written and pro-bf? One of the ideas that I often come up against among families is that the formula compananies aren't "bad guys"--after all even they say "breast is best", even they give out bf'ing info. There is so very much to be gained by handing out this book--for one thing there is the good-will generated among parents, something they spend a lot of time cultivating, there is the cozy financial relationship with the peds, there is the possibility that this will become the "What to Expect..." book of on bf'ing, there is surely much to be gained by the fact that the book is accurate and well-written (assuming it is--I haven't read it), b/c it eliminates this criticism from bf'ing advocates. As a matter of fact, I think this is one of the key benefits--if parents, nurses and doctors (and even bf allies who do not understand the power of this kind of marketing) promote this book, then all of Ross' materials are elevated in credability--even those materials that promote use of supplements, early solids, etc. There is a definate effort to make our arguments impotent--sounding very much like sour grapes, if you will. The other reality is this--how many mothers read a book just after giving birth? She is much more likely to read a brochure or use a free product. Oh, I think this is the perfect marketing tool for a savvy company--it is an absolute coup.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2