From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:02:39 EST
While reading my weekly digest of Midwifery Today, I came across two articles
I thought some of you might find interesting to read about. I haven't read
the article on drugs in labor completely yet, but I always find this stuff
has some relationship to breastfeeding.
Roni Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
Long Island, New York and freezing

 News Flashes

A study in Perth, Australia found that male infants were more likely to be
weaned at any time before 6 months of age than female infants. The 556
women in the study were followed from discharge until 6 months postpartum,
or until they ceased to breastfeed. At discharge 83.8% of women were
breastfeeding their infants (83.0% boys vs 84.6% girls). At 3 months 61.8%
of mothers were either fully or partially breastfeeding (58.5% boys vs
64.8% girls), and by 6 months the percentage had fallen to 49.9% (43.5%
boys vs 55.7% girls). It was suggested that mothers and/or health workers
perceive that male infants have higher nutritional needs and should
therefore receive non-breastmilk fluids and foods earlier than female
infants.
-Birth, Vol. 26 No. 4, Dec. 1999

Drugs in Labour: What Effects Do They Have Twenty Years Hence?
by Beverley Lawrence Beech
Childbirth is a normal physiological event. However, since the advent of
universal hospitalisation, for the majority of women childbirth has been
transformed into a medical event where labour is processed, monitored and
controlled by the medical profession from beginning to end.
To read more, click here: <A
HREF="http://www.midwiferytoday.com/Library/articles/drugs_in_labour.htm">http
://www.midwiferytoday.com/Library/articles/drugs_in_labour.htm </A>