From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:16:26 -0500
Hi, all

This morning, on my way to deliver goodies to an OB here in the boonies of
west Tennessee who is among the few in my county to really be supportive of
breastfeeding, I was listening to the local oldies radio station. Every
morning the disc jockey does a "Wacky World News" spot where he reads some
usually amusing tales. This morning, after one story about a steak bandit
that he described as a job "well done," and another about a plastic surgeon
in California who specializes in turning "outies" into "innies" (talking
about belly buttons...), he did a story about the planned "nurse-in" in
California scheduled for today and that they are hoping more than 767 moms
show up to breastfeed at one time, to beat the record set yesterday in
Australia with 700+ moms in their annual nurse-in. He mentioned that it is
not against California law to breastfeed in public, and that the mayor (I
think) would be on hand to count all the moms, and then multiply by two.

The DJ's tone was upbeat and amused--the same as he was for the first two
stories.

I saw an opportunity and took it. I called him and told him that I wanted to
make sure that he knew that the timing of these two nurse-ins was because
this is the annual World Breastfeeding Week and briefly explained what that
meant. He thought that was pretty neat and promised to tell this on the air,
which he did--referring to a call from a "nice lady" telling him about WBW.

Oh, and one of the goodies I was bringing to the OB was a heart-shaped glass
candy dish filled with Hershey's Kisses with almonds (in gold wrappers). I
put a sign on it that said "Breastfeeding: A Kiss of Gold, Straight from the
Heart" on one side and "Celebrate World Breastfeeding Week: August 1-7" with
my name and address and phone number on the other side.

Unfortunately, the doctor wasn't there so I'm going back on Monday.

I'm enjoying all the tales of how everyone is celebrating this week!

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC
(and usually quiet Lactnet List Mom)