Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 20:18:48 EDT
Susan asks,

<<  Now, of course we can do this
 because we are all experienced RNs and LCs as well...but don't you think
 it's strange to ask an LC for this lecture?

 Any suggestions for the best things to say? I mean, it is true that some
 babies will get bottle fed and moms do need to know something about it if
 that's what they choose but....as an LC, what is an ethical approach to
 this? >>

Oh Susan, let me at 'em!  I would LOVE to lecture on bottle feeding!!  Oh
yes, oh yes.  In this case, it is "tell the truth and shame the devil"  (I
don't know where that came from, but it just popped out.  Oh my, by the time
you got done lecturing on bottle feeding, doing it the RIGHT way, all the
participants in the workshop would be RABID bf advocates!!!

The very thought of this pleases me NO END!  Have at 'em girl, and do your
thing!  And don't forget to remind them to keep track of all the lot numbers
of every single bottle they ever use, and to teach the mothers terminal and
aseptic techniques of sterilization, and never put the bottle nipples into
the dishwasher, and make sure they run the water for at least one minute IF
they use tap water, but have it checked for lead, copper, and
cryptosporidium.  Don't forget to mention the cost of formula feeding, so
that parents may do well to put that extra money aside.  Mention the fact
that there will be more visits to the physician, more hospitalizations, more
days taken off work for children's illnesses.  Parents need to be prepared
for that.  You can laud the family leave act, that in most situations will
give time off for childhood illness, and how grateful you are that
particularly parents of bottle feeding children will need it.

Oh my yes, do the lecture and thoroughly enjoy yourself.  And if you don't
want to do it, invite me and I'll do it!!!!

Jan Barger, currently in Montrose, PA, in our cabin in the woods.