From:
Sarah Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:58:14 +0000
> Jessica Callahan wrote:
> Come hear author Robyn Roche-Paull as she explains how mothers in active
> duty can continue breastfeeding their babies while serving their Country.
Another poster replied:
> Let's get the language correct so that it is clear what is meant. The
> correct language for this is "breastmilk feeding" (not "breastfeeding").
>
> Virginia
> In Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

(excuse me changing the order around to make the sequence of replies a
little easier to follow)

I wrote a hasty and half-joking reply to the second comment first thing
this morning when I was about to rush off.  Thinking back on it later, I
realised that at the time I hadn't fully articulated to myself - and
hence not in the post either - why the comment bothered me.  So I wanted
to come back to this, because what we communicate by insisting on using
the term 'breastmilk feeding' in this situation may actually be harmful.

This talk is directed at women who have to give up some of the normal
early mothering experiences due to the demands of their profession, but
who are nevertheless prepared to go to great lengths to do the best job
they can for their babies even in spite of this major difficulty.
Surely the appropriate response to this is to support and encourage
them?  What message does it give if we insist on using a different term
for their feeding experience?  Seems to me, the message that gives out
breastfeeding in the face of major difficulties is 'Sorry, your efforts
still not worthy of the name "breastfeeding".  We're going to make it
subtly but firmly clear that we still consider you to be a group apart,
not doing quite as well as other mothers.'

I think these women deserve better than that attitude at such an
important and sensitive time in their lives.  And, in practical terms, I
also think that giving women that message is not going to do nearly as
good a job of encouraging them to breastfeed as the message 'We applaud
your efforts on behalf of your children - as well as your country - and
we're here to help you have the best mothering experience you can, for
you and your baby.  Well done for being willing to put in the effort to
do this.'

So, unless there is a particular reason why, in a particular context,
it's important to clarify that feeding of pumped milk is what's being
discussed rather than feeding at the breast, I think we should refer to
all of them as 'breastfeeding'.  Otherwise, we're only setting up barriers.

With best wishes,

Sarah Vaughan