From:
Lara Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:27:48 +0800
On 09/11/2003, at 10:21, Dee Kassing BS MLS IBCLC wrote:
[snip][Symphony]
> This mom is not "built" in such a way that she
> could hold one breastshield with the crook of her elbow and the other
> with her
> hand, so that she would have the other hand free to adjust the pump
> controls.
>  If she turns on the pump first and sets the suction, then if she
> wanted to
> double-pump she would have to just aim the breastshields at her
> nipples and
> hope she got perfectly centered while the pump was already sucking.
> Of course
> this didn't happen, so the shield rubbed the sore areas.  So she now
> has to pump
> just one breast at a time, in order to have one hand to hold the
> breastshield
> in place and the other hand to turn on the pump and adjust the suction.

There are a number of commercial hands-free pumping bras on the market,
or it is very easy to make your own from an old pregnancy bra of sports
crop top. Mark and cut slits over the nipples, oversew if you like, add
a couple of snaps or hook & eyes to hold the flange in place. This
leaves both hands free to adjust vacuum, adjust nipples, compress &
massage the breasts for extra let-downs or to manage plugged ducts, or
read, write email, amuse a baby, change nappies, (a bit of extra tubing
helps here!) This goes for anyone who's pumping frequently; gosh, is
everyone out there holding double flanges by hand in place throughout a
pumping session every time? I'd go mad in a matter of weeks. Possibly
days.

Can I also suggest that if this mum is pumping frequently and will need
to continue to do so, that you help her get in touch with a pumping
support  group where there are dozens more "survival tips" like this as
well as the necessary emotional support and encouragement.

Lara
EPing for Luke, thirteen months tomorrow
and pumping as I type