From:
Laura Aldag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 09:49:19 -0700
>and now, for my most holy and revered comments on ABM.....
>
>According to Ellyn Satter in "Child of Mine-- Baby Feeding with Love and Good
>Sense" the way to be out all day with an ABM fed child is to package clean
>water in the bottles and to add powdered formula to the water when the baby
>is hungry.  Discard leftovers.
>
>Now, for the way I used to teach it in my classes:  I would paint the picture
>of a mom and baby out all day at a football game.  There must be enough
>formula to take care of a baby's hunger pangs, if the game runs overtime.
> When the baby wants to eat, the formula that has been kept cold must then be
>warmed--perhaps in the armpit, because babies do not prefer ice cold drinks.
> Any formula left over must be discarded because after the baby's saliva gets
>into the formula it immediately begins breaking the formula down and the
>germs contaminate the formula growing who knows what-- but it is sure to make
>your baby sick if you re-feed.  Mothers who breastfeed don't have to worry
>about keeping cold, warming and, best yet, don't have dishes to do afterwards
>(and don't forget.... breastfeeding specificially mobilizes butt fat!).  Ta
>Da!!
>
>As for DHA (one of my pet areas),  one of the reasons that Omega-3 long chain
>PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids) are selectively hydrogenated out of soy
>oil and are not prevalent in the food supply is that THEY SMELL LIKE FISH!
> Can you imagine opening up a package of snack chips to have them smell like
>salmon???? How about baby formula????  There is an outstanding review article
>from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1991 54:438-63 by Artemis
>Simopoulos entitled "Omega-3 fatty acids in health and disease and in growth
>and development." In the article is a quote from the Second International
>Conference on the health Effects of Omega-3  Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in
>Seafoods (March 20-23, 1990): "Based upon clear evidence of an essential role
>for Omega 3 fatty acids in human development and health, the scientists
>recommended that all infant formula and diets for humans shoudl include
>Omega-3 fatty acids and they expressed concern that steps be taken to stop
>marketing enteral and parenteral formulas that fail to include any Omega 3
>fatty acids"
>
>As you can see, the formula industry is lagging on this. I did see one
>product for adults advertised that was supposed to contain Omega-3 FAs, but I
>have not seen it advertised recently.
>
>Well, that's all folks.  Big step down from the soapbox,
>Martha, the Dayton Queen of unfiled articles.
>
>Sorry< I haven't figured out how to get rid of the whole message I am
replying to yet.  Anyway, reading Martha's comments about DHA reminded me of
an article I have in my bag that I took home to read last night but didn't
quite get to.  Anyway, the article is out of the Journal of Nutrition
(125:2278S-2280S, 1995) and is entitled "Human Milk and Breastfeeding for
Optimal Mental Development". It states that "omega-3 fatty acids, especially
DHA present in human milk were shown to be necessary for retinal and brain
development in primates and humans." The study looked at visual acuity
maturation in full-term infants fed either human milk or ABM. As expected,
in 4 mos old infants there was greater maturity on breastfed infants.  They
also looked at 3 yr olds and found among those who had been breastfed better
sterio acuity.  I'm not sure I understand the specifics of this article
yet...but for those of you out there who are clinical I wanted to alert you
to this recent contribution.

Laura