Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:35:53 +0100
Kathleen, thanks for pointing us towards this interesting article.

The author is putting out mixed messages.

I would not argue a moment with her conclusion:

"Breast-feeding activists who argue for paid maternity leave are on
the mark. But the milk war is sapping attention from crucial
parenting issues. We shouldn't be fighting over individual choices
about nursing or dictating them: We should be organizing for paid
parental leave, subsidized day care and public preschool. When it
comes to children's emotional and physical health, these all matter
as much as mother's milk. "

She describes the social and economic pressures on women which
prevent breastfeeding - again, she's on the money.

But the answer is not to minimise breastfeeding - to say it makes
very little difference, that mothers don't need to worry about it,
that formuia is just as good blah blah blah.

Why does she not stick with her argument that support for
breastfeeding is a *political*, *social*, *community*, *economic*
issue ? She understands full well that it is - but her response is to
trivialise the effects so mothers 'don't feel guilty".

She also does not really 'get' the facts about how bf works. A baby
losing weight at 2 days old like hers was - why would the response
have to be formula? Why not hand express colostrum, ensure skin to
skin contact, feeding ad lib? I also wonder how you know a baby is
actively losing weight at 2 days.....but if you do, that's still
*normal*. Babies may well still be losing weight at that stage.

And if a paediatrician actually says to a new family 'formula is
evil' then complain about his choice of words and his manner, which
are both highly unprofessional.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK