From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:53:33 -0700
On 3/22/04 8:27 PM, "Jennifer tieman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snip>

> So many moms I assist have never seen a nursing baby, or if they have, their
> experience is limited to the newborn or young baby stage.  I'm trying hard
> now to tell all new moms in the first days that breastfeeding won't always
> be work, especially those moms who are struggling with problems in the first
> days.  I wish I could loan every new mom a day with an experienced, happy
> older baby!  Since that's probably out of the question, what are some ideas
> others are using to promote continued breastfeeding out there?
>
> Jennifer Tieman
> Family Physician
> Mom to 4, including nursling Caroline Rose, born 5/31/03

My midwives used to have a lunch on their clinic day (every Thursday), for
moms with new babies. I have a friend who was a very inexperienced mother
with almost no support and insecure in her mothering role - she went almost
every Thursday for a year! Mostly people came coincident with their last
clinic visits after the babe was born (they did Vitamin K drops instead of
injections which meant multiple visits) but some came for longer periods and
they strategically invited more relaxed, experienced moms with older babes.

Jennifer, since you have so many breastfeeding moms in your practice,
perhaps you could adopt something similar? Pot-luck lunch, or maybe tea,
with a half-dozen or so people attending each time?

-- Jodine Chase