Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:08:54 EST
I can really empathize with Julie for much of what I see are babies with
posterior tongue tie (I have a very small private practice,  unfortunately).
I've discussed the frequency with which I identify tongue  tie with Dr Coryllos
and Cathy, and they assure me it is much more frequent than  previously
thought.  If baby cannot bring his tongue down and forward with  wide gape and keep
it extended during feed, and an exaggerated asymmetrical  latch doesn't enable
consistent tongue contact with the breast which then  results in poor milk
transfer and/or mom's compressed nipples and resultant  pain/damage, then
clipping of the frenulum seems warranted.  A submucosal  lingual frenulum may take
two snips, the first one being made in the mucosa to  get to the frenulum for
clipping.

I have found that finger feeding or for that matter, bottle feeding, gets
baby fed and parents report the tongue stays over the gum line with these
alternative methods, but that's because these methods don't require the  necessary
sustained wide gape that breastfeeding does.  Upright or prone  positioning
can help bring baby's tongue forward but if this still doesn't  enable pain free
breastfeeding and good milk transfer, then evaluation for  frenotomy and
clipping can help.   I'm assuming this baby is  doing well with supplementary
feeding now, so that lack of calories and low  energy can be ruled out as cause
for ineffective suck at breast.  In my  experience, most babies who have
restricted tongue movement and struggle with  feeding do benefit from frenotomy
though, depending on age, and other  confounding factors, may also need tongue
strengthening exercises afterward and  continued work on improving latch.  Some
babies get by without frenotomy  when mom has a very robust milk supply that is
sustained over time, but these  babies tend to have reflux, still pop off the
breast repeatedly and mom still  has flattened nipples that moms report to me
just seem to stop causing pain  despite distorted nipple shape. Then there's
the situations where weaning  occurs due to untreated tongue tie and that, of
course, is so sad for both baby  and mom.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me off list for further  discussion,
if this would be helpful to you.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC