Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:54:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I find discussions regarding food so fascinating on so many levels. My staff and I commonly see food issues(emotional)  reveal themselves over and over in our clientele. Let's face it, so many of us have unhealthy relationships with food  and we bring that "right to the table  when it comes to feeding our children.  

So I wish solids were that benign but "a little bit of food" ends up being 3 meals a day by 6 months.  There is a pervasive "more is better" attitude and also parents get such joy out of seeing their baby eat food-they perceive themselves as a "good parent" if their child is a "good eater" - it becomes more than just nutrition - it's a moral judgement.  Bragging rights - positive attention for the baby.  Also moms don't like denying their babies what they like and many times that's food.   After 6 months babies can self feed- controlling their own intake if allowed - avoiding much of the controlling behavior by the parent.  Also "I ran out of milk" is commonly accepted by 6 months as women in this country are happy to make it that far and quite satisfied with themselves and move on.  That's where I'm coming from.   Anyway, I so appreciate the discussion as it is an important one- thank you

Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Chatham, NJ 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2