From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:43:35 EST
In a message dated 3.23.04 12:06:06 AM, Jennifer writes:

> As I am now nursing an older baby, I am reminded daily of all the joys of
> nursing an older baby, and am trying to share these with my patients who are
> struggling through those early, frustrating days.  I think too often in the
> US we tend to see breastfeeding as some duty moms fulfill for the health of
> their children, and don't always appreciate the joy and pleasure both
> parties get from the breastfeeding relationship.

This is beautifully put Jennifer!
While pondering this issue many times, I have often thought about the fact
the my pediatrician NEVER promoted or even discussed , at the scheduled well
baby checks, the joys/concerns/pluses of continued breastfeeding specific to that
time period. That is , do you think it might be helpful to to break nursing
up into the time frames of the scheduled visits (much like pregnancy info is
grouped into trimesters) and provide pamphlets on each? This idea expanded even
further when I read your beautiful passage above. It made me think how nice it
might be to provide your patients with a similar personal description in
writing(brief and specific to that upcoming time period and in addition to the
pamphlet?). What better way to help them realize the beauty in breastfeeding and
move beyond the mechanics?!

Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin, Massachusetts