Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:49:17 -0400
Karen writes:

I like  to think my practice includes the more expansive, interactive
concept of  breastfeeding, which is far, far more than the physical function of
lactation.  (In all fairness, later descriptions were better!)

Am I the only one  who is bugged when our profession and the work we do
goes by the term  "lactation" without the "consultant"? (Truth to tell, I've
never been thrilled  by that title either, but it beats refs to "lactation"
only!)
~~~
No, you are surely not the only one. Loss of diverse entryways to this work
 is a true loss, in my opinion as well. I have some wonderful LLL CoLeaders
who  could be amazing LCs, but their path if not ended, has at least
derailed for a  while. Also, I wrote to the Board the minute after I got out of
the IBCLC exam  the first time. As a PT we had to pass both written and
practical exams. I was  asked to role play with 2 different, randomly chosen
patient scenarios, in front  of three seasoned PTs. To me this was the more
important part of deciding  whether I should be called a PT ( which by definition
means a licensed PT,  as opposed to anyone being able to say they are a
lactation consultant....) It  seems the older I get, the farther off track
things get. Despite writing  letters/ emails, and getting responses, nothing
changes. I just recertified by  CERPS for this year, and I think that's a good
requirement. As a PT I have to do  the same. But thinking about taking the
exam again at the 20 year mark makes me  want to retire. If all working
IBCLCs who meet CERP requirements pass the exam  anyway, why go through that? The
learning and networking that comes from taking  courses exposes one to much
more important things than passing a multiple choice  exam. The
"consultant" part is the heart and soul of what we do. The ability to  be with a
struggling mother over time and help her figure out HOW to use  the knowledge we
bring is something only we do. Knowing the fundamentals of  lactation is
critical, but without the time and care and skills that are  required to help
angry, annoyed, upset, sad, exhausted, shocked new mothers, the  lactation
part will fail. ( This is true where I live at least, where birth is  often
more of an assault to mother and baby than a transformative  physical/emotional
journey.)

I find it very sad, actually, the way things are going.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA