Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 21:46:55 EDT
well, around our house the word is "chi-chi" which is supposed to be spanish
slang for breast, and it must be, because i have seen an occasional raised
eyebrow from older hispanic ladies when one of my children has asked for
chi-chis.

however, heidi, i must say, most indian languages are written! many of them
are being taught in public schools around the nation, as well in schools on
various reservations where ALL the teaching is in the native language.
although i do not speak or read my native language, and all the old ones of
that part of my family are long gone (my grandfather was born in 1859 or 1860
so you get the picture), according to my dictionary, the verb "pishi" means
to draw the breast, as a child or the young of an animal. or "pishechi"
another verb meaning to nurse; to suckle; to feed an infant at the breast or
with a bottle. pishi is also the noun meaning suck. and pi(n)shi is another
noun meaning a suckling.

pishi issachi is the verb meaning to wean. or, pishi issa, to stop sucking,
as when children wean.  and here is pishik or ipi(n)shik, a noun, meaning
teat. however another word for nipple is ibish.

literacy is common now, even amongst us various tribes.

carol brussel IBCLC, member of the Choctaw Nation, Oklahoma Band
laura nevada lactation
denver co