From:
Sandy Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 09:24:28 EST
Here is the discharge pack story, although Diane summed it up very nicely!  I
sent a letter AND the actual diaper bag w/"BF stuff" (the staff took out the
formula sample when they were given to BF moms) to a hospital administrator
(the hosp LC clued me in on who to send it to!).  I figured a box would get
more attention than a letter that could get 'lost' on someone's desk!  Anyway,
I took the approach that this administrator may have no idea what is being
given out.  So, the letter was from a CONSUMER, not an extreme BF activist/LC.
I think this is VERY important!!!  Diane said it best:
<< You claim to support breastfeeding, then you hand out these diaper bags.
What gives? >>
The hospital said it was on the Peds standing orders, so they'd have to
decide.  The Peds took it up at their section meeting & decided to ban them
all together--not even handing them out to bottle feeding moms!  This was
almost 5 yrs ago!  One of the Peds just hands them out at his office, but none
of the other 7 do!

Ok, now a follow-up to that part--we have 2 nurses working in our
immunization/walk-in clinic where WIC is located, that used to work in the
special care nursery.  These moms are both "BF friendly", and have nursed
their children past 12 mos.  A few weeks ago, they went to the WIC Coordinator
with the idea that they wanted to give something out to new moms (we do
pregnancy tests).  They thought maybe they could contact a formula co. rep &
see about getting those 'cute little bags'--"the ones the hospital got rid of
because 'some' mom complained about them".  Ugh.  Too bad there was no staff
education at the time, but at least the bags are gone!!!  BTW, the WIC
Coordinator set them straight (she's been trained well!).
Sandy Arnold BS, IBCLC
Indiana