From:
Julia Scaletta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:05:42 -0500
We have a pediatrician at our hospital who believes that all babies can
switch between the breast & the bottle without any difficulty. He always
tells the moms that "There is no such thing as nipple confusion. Supplement
with a bottle if you want to." I will go in after him and tell them that
some babies do have problems at the breast after receiving a bottle.
Fortunately, his office nurse does too! A couple of months ago he told the
OB Nurse Manager that he read a recent study that proved that there was no
such thing as nipple confusion. Therefore, he wanted her to write a standing
order that the nurses were not allowed to discuss nipple confusion with the
moms and they were to give her a bottle if she asked for it. Fortunately,
our nurse manager is very supportive of breastfeeding and told him she could
not do that until he brought her the study to read. He has not brought it in
for her yet. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this study? I'm hoping it's
something he made up to try to get his way.
Thanks,
Julia Scaletta, BSN, IBCLC, LCCE
Irritated in Eden, NC