From:
Fogelmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2018 20:00:06 +0300
Dear Wendy and others,
I just felt like chiming in to say that social services do offer the type
of buddy system that you describe. We have had several cases in our
department alone (so there must be many more in the country) where we could
only send the parents home with their children because they had foster
families or foster women helping them out. In one, both the mother and
father have very low intelligence and there is a family that helps them
with every day life and child raising.  In another, a single mother, also
with some sort of intellectual handicap was sent home with a foster
"friend" who was there to help her. About a half a year after the birth I
ran into her at a baby fair, where she asked me for advice regarding
weaning her baby in order to get pregnant again, since she was loving
motherhood so much (obviously I advised against premature weaning). She was
at the fair with that same friend. I have no experience with mothers with
drug problems, so I do not know if the same service exists for them. It is
a wonderful thing to see families going home with the support that they
need.
All the best,
Chayn Fogelman,  Hadassah Hospital Jerusalem