From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:39:12 +1000
I find that my classes are never the same.  I usually start off by asking
the parents to brainstorm - I ask them to call out any words or phrases
they want to about breastfeeding or infant feeding.  Then, and this is
important, I turn my back to the class and write down exactly what is
written without comment until the flow of words stops.  Stopping to comment
or clarify anything during that phase stops the flow, and by having my back
to them it gives the impression that I don't know who it was who said what
... which is fine.  They usually start with all the good things, but
someone will eventually say something 'bad' about breastfeeding, then more
worries come out.

That's it!  Then I'll go through and talk about/discuss the words or
phrases they have brought up.  An example might be "cracked nipples" -
that's when I talk about good latch, and may show a short segment of video,
or hand out the dolls to practice with (depends very much on how long I
have to talk).  My whole lesson plan is on the board though as they
requested it.

I liked Barbara's finger points - this would be a great way to finish off -
an easy take-home message.

Denise

Denise Fisher MMP, BN, IBCLC
BreastEd Online Lactation Studies