From:
"Johnson, Martha (PHMG)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:42:54 -0800
Dear Janet,
Yes, in our practice, we do share the hazards of artificial feeding openly,
beginning with the first prenatal visit, when all our pregnant moms receive
a handout titled "Choose Wisely".  The first item on it says, "Infant
formula is an inferior substitute for breastmilk." This page goes on to
outline some of the other hazards of artificial feeding, as well as the
benefits of bfdg.  Then at 28 weeks, we do an informed consent process with
each client.  This addresses which feeding method she wants for the time
after she delivers and before she goes home from the hospital or birth
center.  At that time, we also make sure they are aware of the bfdg support
services we offer, give more info on hazards and benefits, and refer them to
bfdg class, if it will be their first time to breastfeed.
  We haven't always worked this way, and it took time and education even for
our pro-bfdg staff of CNMs to fully support this approach.  It has really
helped, because it is policy, every expectant mom goes thru the same
process.  This means we don't cave into the temptation of not discussing
breastfeeding with those moms who we know didn't breastfeed their other
children.  It also has helped with reducing the number of our hospital-
birthing babies who get pacifiers, because the informed consent papers go
into the hospital record along with the rest of the client's prenatal
records, and we've pointed out to hospital staff that it's really not okay
to give those kids a pacifier when the mom has signed a consent saying she
doesn't want that to happen.
  So, Janet, hang onto your values, though it may be a long road, it's worth
the trip.
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene, Oregon