From:
CarouselKR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:18:10 EST
Hi All--

I just wanted to share some of my "theories" and words of wisdom that I pass
on to new moms with questions:

1. Crying (of the baby) would not be so annoying were we not meant to respond!

2. Obviously, baby (healthy, full-term) doesn't need anything other than what
mommy has for it, or it would be there.

3. Formula feeding is like eating Thanksgiving dinner--i.e., a big heavy meal
at which you overeat (take this opportunity to explain how baby overfeeds with
a bottle) and just want to sleep for 6 hours afterwards. Breastfeeding is like
eating Chinese food--you eat it and your hungry an hour later--but why?
Because it is lighter, healthier and easier to digest.

4. The milk doesn't come in until about the fourth day in order to give the
mom/baby time to practice--it doesn't have to be perfect yet! Also, my newest
theory--with multips, the milk comes in sooner because the mom doesn't require
as much practice the second/third time around!

5. Daddy's job (insert other relatives here also) is to teach baby that LOVE
doesn't have to go hand in hand with food.

If I have stolen some of this from the wisdom of others, please forgive me for
not crediting you. I just wanted to share some thoughts that others might also
be able to use.

Kathy Rubin IBCLC RNC in NJ