From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:34:33 +0100
Apologies for the somewhat tongue in cheek header.  It's been a long
day.. rescued only by some red wine and pizza!

Please don't ask me to explain all this out - my head hurts as it is.
The situation it this:

The Cameroon mother and 12 week old baby we are supporting, in Yarl's
Wood IDC, will be deported to Finland.  She is English speaking.

The likely hood is she will be sent to Helsinki, before any lactation
support is arranged here.  (But then again, maybe not.)

Do we have anyone in Helsinki, who can make at least one visit to this
mother, on her arrival, and reassure her on lactation support?  I say
'at least one visit' as, realistically, once we support a baby, we stick
with it.  So I'd be happier for slightly longer and more supportive
contact, if The Helsinki Connection is happy with that.

But all I'm asking for up front, is one attempt to see this mother and
baby, when she is sent to Finland in the next week or so.  Mother is
presuming Helsinki.  Baby is on the breast, after 4 weeks of combination
feeding via a daily access visit and bottle feeding at the foster home.
Baby and mother subsequently struggling to resume exclusive
breastfeeding - some oral trauma evident.  But should be able to
establish exclusive breastfeeding again with minimal, qualified, support.

Hope that makes sense.  As I said, my head hurts.

Morgan Gallagher

www.NursingMatters.org.uk    but as you can see, we don't give a hoot
which country the baby is in... breastfeeding babies is breastfeeding
babies!

(ps, header is a word play on a famous essay by a journalist who worked
in refugee situations)