From:
Brian Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 00:41:31 -0800
Can one trust a company which runs the following ads with making a cream for breastfeeding? (my comments for the ad are in parentheses) Ad #1 Easy grip bottle "Because the only thing better than feeding your baby is watching him learn to feed himself.  We've just made it easier for the smallest hands to hold our angled bottle.  So easy, in fact, even a six-month-old can handle it" (how about "tired of constantly having to hold your baby for feedings?, looking to detach from your baby?, or is propping the bottle with pillows and towels not working out for you?") Ad#2 for a bottle: "designed to help you keep air out of your baby's stomach. And liquid out of her ear. Breast-feeding is the most natural way (as opposed to best way, healthiest way...)to nourish your baby and is recommended by health professionals.  If you've decided to supplement breast-feeding with bottle-feeding, the benefits of design are worth learning about. (I find that first ad especially repulsive as I have done home visits on baby's as young as one week old with propped bottles lying on the couch.has been an early sign of the things to come!)