From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:56:22 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Cynthia Good Mojab" <[log in to unmask]>

> The production of antibodies directly in the breast currently seems to be
> called "autoimmunization," at least in one study.
>
> Page 15 of the second edition of Breastfeeding and Human Lactation by
> Riordan and Auerbach states:
>
> "Artificially fed infants are denied the benefits of 'autoimmunization,'
> whereby the breast produces antibodies to organisms to which the infant
has
> been exposed (Fishaut et al., 1981)."
>
> Fishaut, M., et al., Bronchomammary axis in the immune response to
> respiratory syncytial virus. J. Pediatr 99:186-9, 1981.

As far as I understood it, the broncho-mammary axis acts as the
entero-mammary pathway, that is, it is the bronchus and the gut of the
mother that recieves the pathogens the baby carries, and then the mammary
responds with producing the antibodies.

This doesn't confirm the here often postulated hypothesis that there is a
direct immune response of the mammary gland to the mouth-of-the-baby.

I was in a difficult online discussion with a few docters, and I answered
them in they way I often read here, only to find out in my books there is no
mention of this route of immune respons. I wished people would make a
dsitinction between facts that are reported in research  and  the ideas we
have, but that has no evidence (yet).

I think this evidence will show up in the future, based om what I've read so
far I think it is a very reasonable hypothesis, but it is good to know it is
only a hypotheses....

Maybe i'm wroing..If someone knows such a research, I'm happy to hear about
it..

regards, Annelies Bon
Lay counsellor of the Dutch bf organization "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"
Breastfeeding postcards: http://www.borstvoeding.com/shop/english.html
Ordering from US: http://www.attachmentscatalog.com/gifts/notecards.html