Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:14:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Hi, my name is Lindsay and I am a junior II in the nursing program at the University of North Dakota. I am finding the topics discussed on Lactnet very interesting and informational, but I want to bring up a topic that, I believe, has not been discussed on Lactnet previously, based on my search. I first want to say to all those new moms out there that are breastfeeding and still find time to exercise- Great for you!! I have heard that many mothers experience infants rejecting their breast milk after exercising. This may be true for some, but Wright, Quinn, & Carey (2002) conducted a study finding a conflict with the above. The results concluded, breast milk lactic acid was significantly increased 1 hour after the maximal exercise test compared with the pre-exercise value. However, there was significant difference in breast milk lactic acid concentration before or after moderate exercise as well. And although there was an increase in lactic acid they further went on to con clude that “volume of milk consumed by the infants after maximal exercise or rest did not differ from the volume consumed before maximal exercise or rest”. This study did demonstrate that the acceptance of breast milk after exercise is the same as before. 
In another study, according to McCrory (2000), results indicated that moderate aerobic exercise program had no adverse effects on infant milk intake and growth, breast milk intake, and other metabolic parameters. 
Tagge (2001) stated there is no question that human breast milk is best for babies. So for all you women out there who want to exercise and want to breastfeed but feel they aren’t sure if is recommended, get advice perhaps from their doctor, pediatrician or even a lactation consultant. Not only is breastfeeding best for the baby, the benefits of exercise for moms are wonderful. According to Wright, Quinn, & Carey (2002), exercise improves the cardiovascular fitness of breastfeeding women. Lactating women who exercise retain less weight from pregnancy, have a higher energy expenditure, and have better measures of psychosocial well-being than nonexercising, lactating women. In addition, exercise during lactation improves the insulin response to a meal and increases high density lipoprotein concentration. 
The point I am trying to make is that exercise should not be contraindicated during lactation, that instead it is beneficial in many ways. Our bodies work in amazing ways and our breast milk will still be the best for the babies. For those having problems getting baby to accept breast milk after exercising, should we look at other possible causes such as sweat or pheromone secretion. Has anyone experienced a situation with your clients related to exercise and breastfeeding? 

References 

McCrory, M.A. (2000). Aerobic exercise during lactation: safe, healthful, and compatible. Journal of 
Human Lactation, 16(2), 95-98. 

Tagge, M.E. (2001). Wet nursing 2001: old practice, new dilemmas? Journal of Human Lactation, 17(2), 
140-141. 

Wright, K.S., Quinn, T.J., & Carey, G.B. (2002). Infant acceptance of breast milk after maternal exercise. 
Pediatrics, 109(4), 585-589.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2