From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:39:07 +0200
To many of us who started working years ago when there was so much
antagonism against childbirth educators and breastfeeding counsellors, and
so much apathy from the public, it gives us tremendous satisfaction to hear
these stories of how we made a difference.  Having lived in Haifa for the
past 38 years and pioneered an organization that lobbied for change and
trained new counsellors, I am seeing the effects on the next generation.
One woman brought to me a faded document that was in her own baby album -
the certificate that I gave to her parents at the end of their childbirth
course which was the only "qualification" that gave dads entry to the labour
ward back in the late 70~s.
And often young women who call me now for breastfeeding help tell me how I
helped their mothers to breastfeed and how that influenced their decision to
do so now - and when I visit of course there is a fantastically supportive
grandmother.
There are so many ways that we give inspiration for the positive side of
parenthood against all the obstacles of formula advertising, pressure on
mums to return to work soon after birth and an unsympathetic media who like
to keep their advertisers (formula companies) happy.
We recently had a visit from a couple living in Australia.  They had lived
in Haifa for a few years in the early 80~s just at the time that they were
starting their family.  Anne had been on the first founding committee of the
Israel Childbirth Education Centre and active in the mother-and-baby groups
that I had started as a continuation of the childbirth courses.  One of our
friends made a dinner party for a few of those early pioneers and each one
said that they were inspired to help start the organization because of the
support they had got at a very vulnerable time.
Even the fact that organizations like ours are now marginalized by the
government health services who provide subsidized childbirth courses and
breastfeeding counselling is not altogether negative.  Their services may
not always be of the quality that we give, particularly in terms of the time
and continuity of our type of support, but at least they reach a far higher
proportion of expectant and new parents.
That makes me feel that we did our job and that in cases where our own
trained counsellors are also working in those health services, our message
is reaching a much larger market.
So for those starting out, feeling frustrated by all the obstacles, don`t
give up.  After you work for a number of years and look back, you will see
that you truly made a difference.
Wendy Blumfield
NCT UK Trained Prenatal Tutor Teacher/Breastfeeding Counsellor
Founder Israel Childbirth Education Centre