Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 07:09:29 -0500
Yes, I must say that the Canadian Paediatric Society deserves some kudos
here, though I do not always agree with them on things regarding
breastfeeding.  Their suggested policy is not as great as it seems, though,
since Canadian law requires that new mothers get 6 months maternity leave.

Paediatric residency programs which do not recognize a resident's right to
maternity leave are very short sighted.  Besides the difficulty for the
resident, this is as good a training as some residents will ever get.  As
one recently, who was having minor problems with breastfeeding told me "I've
learned more paediatrics in the last couple of months, than in the last
couple of years as a resident.  My advice to mothers was often right,
according to the book, but I really didn't know what I was talking about".
That's a paraphrase.  I should have written it down at the time.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC