Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 08:38:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
One concept that gets left out of most of our positioning graphics is the notion that babies feel more secure when their fronts are securely supported.  Rebecca Glover was the one who first pointed out to me the concept of positional stability, which Tina Smillie also talks about.  

If you watch Lennart Righard's crawling baby video, you see a purposeful baby performing in a way you know he wouldn't if he didn't feel himself to be prone on Terra Firma.  Put him on his back, and he deteriorates into a bundle of Moro reflexes.

I've started adding this to my positioning talk, and it just tickles me:  Think of a mammal - any mammal (people's images range from the ordinary cat and dog to the bat and manatee).  Now picture the newborn of that mammal.  Now... lay that newborn on its back and watch what it does!  I can't think of any mammal that's comfortable on its back as a newborn, and I can't imagine them putting much relaxed focus on feeding until they're positionally stable.  That's where all mammals feel truly in control. ( I have to say I'm not *sure* about the great apes, but I can't picture them doing anything but wiggling helplessly until they're placed prone.  Does anyone have experience with them?)

Do our own newborns accept solitary back-sleeping only because they're clothed and/or swaddled?  I've certainly heard many parents say, "Oh, he hates being naked."  Do they really mean, "he hates being naked on his back"?  

I'd love to see the notion of "front-securely-supported-against-mom" shown more clearly in our positioning pictures.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2