From:
Lucretia McGee Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:49:07 -0600
This is a tragic situation.  I had a similar experience many years ago with
an experienced breastfeeder, third time mom.  No drugs, no epidural, easy
vag delivery.  I was the L&D nurse, going off shift.  I popped my head in
the LDR room, to say goodbye.  I was not even going to go in, just cracked
the door.  Mom is all smiles, says he nursed a little, but fell asleep.
Baby is all covered by blanket, something made me walk in, pull back a
corner and look.  Baby was beyond blue, pale gray.  Even now makes me
cringe.   Required a full resuscitation, and weeks in NICU.  Baby survived
but with damage.  There was never a definitive cause, just questions about
seizures or mucus blocking the airway.  Baby did have seizures after the
occurence, but was a chicken or egg question at that point.  The baby was
out of the initial recovery phase of one hour, so no longer requiring vital
signs every 15 minutes.  Had he already been transfered to the nursery,
could have easily done the same thing in a crib.  Many nursery nurses will
tell of babies turning dusky without a sound.
Stacy, I hope you find solace knowing that some things are out of our
control.
Lu Bush
RNC,IBCLC
Texas